I had some very strange lighting going on in my hub, my point light solution was not a good one, so I replaced it with a directional light and a script that turns on and off the directional lights depending on which area the player is in. Kicking myself for not making the hub and level separate now that I’m familiar with casting, but its too late now.
I added a set visibility function to each of the switch branches, turning on the main level light. I then turned this off when the player uses the exit trigger. The lighting is consistent in the hub now, and it really makes the coloured leaves on the tree stand out.
Testing in the hive revealed a lot of bugs, so I spend the last couple of days getting as many off my list as possible. Since they were mostly minor fixes, I don’t have any images, but I handled things like obvious texture seams, things spawning slightly in the wrong position and issues with collision and blocking volumes (no falling off the map please!).
The biggest thing here was getting rid of that rain bug – it turned out to be something really silly! I forgot to reattach the branch that detected that the player had left the overcast level and called the event from the character to switch off the rain. Oops.
One of the first things I want to get down this semester is the transition between the photorealistic section of the game and the abstract section. I feel as if a smooth transition would make the game feel more polished and interesting, and it is certainly one of the things that is taking the quality of the prototype down at the moment.
I looked into semi-abstract art and two game art styles that I think fit nicely with it – hand painted and graphic. The reason I’m looking at game art styles and not trying to convert the semi-abstract art into a texturing style is that while I want to pursue my own vision, I also want to make art that is relevant to the games industry.
I was originally planning to investigate more styles and pick one of them, however it jumped out at me that not only am I fond of both of these styles, they each tend more towards realism or abstract. This means that I could actually use them together, ensuring a smoother transition with more styles. This does mean a little extra work, but I feel like its manageable – it can be reduced to one if I feel like I am struggling.
An idea that Lynn suggested to me a while back was the use of 3 way projection to create an immersive experience.
It is doable in Unity, and in Unreal by the looks of it, though I haven’t found any resources for this yet.
My graphics card supports projection though NVIDIA surround, but my motherboard doesn’t, so I can’t just plug in and go. It looks like an HDMI splitter will set up 3 screens quite easily, but its a question of getting unreal to do the surround display and getting 3 hdmi projectors.
I went and bought myself an HDMI splitter and had a go, but I ended up buying the 3 in 1 out instead of the other way around! Annoying. I’ve ordered the correct switch on amazon, so hopefully I can test the game on 3 monitors, before begging/borrowing/stealing projection equipment.