Prepping Posters for Print

I designed a main poster for my exhibition which has the branding assets talked about previously but has images of each of the lighting states. I tried a portrait version and a landscape one, and the landscape one was much stronger, so I went about getting it ready for print. This was very difficult, as there was high contract and some very dark blacks in my images which both convert very badly to CMYK.

This was my first print after setting the image mode to CMYK using the default profile and making no changes. It was far too dark and the only bits of the image that come out ok is the greens.

20150428_134043 - Copy

I upped the brightness and contrast in the image and did another print test. This was better, but still very dark.

20150428_135957

Brightening the whole image and upping the saturation made it more ready for print, but the greens jumped out far too much and made the colours completely unbalanced.

20150428_140610

I then went for the same level of brightness with lowered saturation and made some edits to the curves. Whilst a bit washed out looking, the level of contrast in this image was much more suitable for print.

20150428_141302 - Copy

20150428_142520

I then took saturation down only for the greens, to bring them in line with the rest of the image.

20150428_142520

It looks no where near as good as the RBG image, but its the best I can do for now – print media is a mystery to me!
I’ll return to this once I’ve got my HIVE optimized build running well and I can focus on the showcase.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s