Wall Model

As there are some issues with my outer environment model, I was encouraged to create some wall models to cover this up in certain places.

I started out by sculpting a couple of rocks in mudbox, and then arranging them together in the way that the artists on Legend of Grimrock did. (See their pipeline at http://www.grimrock.net/2011/09/08/building-the-dungeon/)

I tried doing a higher poly sculpt that included the whiplash motifs, but maya couldn’t handle the polycount, so I decided to do the whiplash normals in photoshop.

I then created a low poly model, using the high one as a guide.

walls4

This is where things started to go wrong…I used the transfer maps utility in maya, but got a very pixelated texture. I tried creating a 1024 map, but my pc refused and crashed.

walls3

I tried using xnormal instead, but ended up with very weird texture at first. That’s when I remembered that I’d lost my UV map last time it crashed…still don’t save often enough! So I went back in and redid the uvs. This created a much nicer result in xNormal, but it did not work on the model – I still have no idea what those grey areas are. A lot of 3D artists swear by xNormal, but its never been great for me.

T_Wall_N

walls6

Wall normals_normals walls7

With my new UVs in hand, I gave maya another go, knowing I’d get more out of the better map. It was certainly a lot nicer, but still taking ages. I decided to give the 1024 map another go, just in case, and this time adjusted the search envelope. Suprisingly, it took no time at all in comparison – turns out my search envelope had been way too big and was slowing down calculations!

walls8

I still had one issue though – the overlapping uvs were creating really dark areas, so I separated them and generated the map again.

walls9

I was happy with this normal map, so moved on to the diffuse and spec textures. I used the same texture style as I used on the rocks. I feel I cheated a bit here, as I painted a few rocks and then copy pasted them – but its 7 days until the deadline! I generated an AO map in maya (this time with working settings) and multiplied this on top of the diffuse to make sure I retained depth within the texture. I then created the specular by desaturating the diffuse, adding high contrast and making the grass layer white, to give it a damp quality.

T_Wall_D T_Wall_S walls10

I then used it in game to cover up some of the not so great looking parts of the environment.

walls2 wals3 walls11 walls1

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s