New Godrays

Since I had flickering problems with my godrays, I decided to make them again. I decided to go for a less code driven solution here and create a conical model to that I could place manually.

god1

I had a go at painting some god rays in here, but there was a really obvious seam and the brushstrokes were too clear. There was too much colour coming from the brush and making the texture less transparent than I wanted.

god2 god3

A better solution was to block out areas of solid colour and then apply a motion blur to it, negating the effects of the brushstrokes. I plugged this into an emissive material and then multiplied its opacity with a grey shade in order to make it less obvious.

god4 god5 god6

I then placed these by adding lots of them to the lighting blueprint and giving them the same transforms as the spotlights in the scene. At first, I thought it wasn’t working, then I realised I hadn’t zeroed out the transform for the blueprint in general, so their transforms were being offset.

god7 god8

Once they were clearly placed correctly I put the material back to its original state.

god9

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s