All of the Problems!

With the Seek release yesterday and the Asylum Jam on over the weekend, my prototype has been getting a bit neglected over the last couple of days. When I opened it up to get the first part finished, I found what I thought was a major issue. I had some really strange collisions that appeared to be coming from nowhere.

33

To try and fix this I deleted geometry, remade geometry, took out code, put back in code and even contacted the Epic devs to try and sort it out.

38

In the end it was the stupidest mistake. I had left some old static meshes in the level but had them as non renderable, this doesn’t take away collisions though. I spend hours on this issue, so I’m really kicking myself and I’m quite embarrassed about asking Chase about it.

In the end I rebuilt the whole scene.

Trying to look on the bright side, I learned a lot from this issue. I learned to thoroughly check the scene for any anomalies before making major changes, to make major changes in a separate level (this is a particular issue as unreal doesn’t allow for undoing after playing the game in editor) and to make reminders to myself of what I was doing if I know I’ll be away from the project for more than a day.

In light of this I’m going to set up version control for the prototype. Its something I never considered when working alone, but having a version to revert to after messing with my whole level and finding a tiny problem would have been great. I have a bit of a patchy history with version control, turns out programmers really don’t appreciate getting locked out of their accounts because you uploaded all the art by accident and went over the memory limit! Hopefully this will be a chance to get a bit better with it. So far with my experience Tortoise with mercurial or Git would be a good plan, though I’ll need to check if I can do a private repo on git. Perforce would be ideal but I need to work from home so its not an option.

I also had a few issues with packaging the project. One of these was caused by my manually adding assets to the project folder that didn’t copy across properly. Unreal was getting confused where the package was supposed to located, as it was copied from another unreal project. After deleting these manually and in the editor, it worked fine. Another issue was that, despite changing it in the build settings, the start level was still set to the example map. I went into the ini file and change this, based on some advice from the unreal forums.

36

37

Despite this though, I have an .exe. It doesn’t have quite as much content and polish as I would have hoped, since I wasted a lot of time on this, but it does demonstrate the overall idea.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s